Thursday 28 June 2007

Great food, coffee... and chain stores

We had the best dinner last night. There's this Italian restaurant near our place called Zizzi, and we've eaten there a few times now. They do the best garlic pizza bread - it comes with just a bit of olive oil brushed over the top, and fresh rosemary leaves scattered over it. It is so good. Then I had this brilliant goat's cheese crostini with caremelised onion on top - it was such a strong taste, almost blue-cheese strong, but so good. Admittedly it did come with a lame, overdressed little salad thing, but I can overlook that. All washed down with some yummy Trebbiano, which I've never really had before but which isn't bad. Then for desert, I had vanilla bean and pistachio ice cream (shouldn't that be gelato at an Italian restaurant?). And Mark had an affogatto, although I had to tell them how to make it?! They did do a brilliant job in the end though - I love affogatto...

So that was great. But then when I just looked it up online to put a link to it above, I found out that it's a huge chain... not surprising really, everything that's good in London turns out to be a chain. I don't know why that takes some of the gloss off, but it does. It just seems less authentic and less loved somehow, like the owners don't really give a poo about the food but are just out to make a buck. But I guess if they make good food then nothing changes that - enjoy it for what it is right...

Like this great coffee place I went to yesterday morning near my work, that I'd read about online. It was called Benugo, and they made me a great coffee to start the morning with. Lucky, cos it also made me 15 minutes late to work. But then this evening I saw another one a few blocks away from our place! Bloody chain stores...

One place that kicks bum and that I know is not a chain store is this little place near work called Brill. It's a funny little blend of CD shop and cafe, and it prides itself on being independent. There was this guy who opened up on Monday morning, and he made me, without exaggeration, the best coffee I've had in London ever. So I had another one. The owner, who normally works there, makes an OK coffee but not as good as this other dude. He's good value though - he very clearly absolutely loves his music and talks loudly and enthusiastically to anyone who goes into the shop about whatever CD is playing or whatever type of music they happen to be looking for.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this made me so hungry I am literally having hunger pains :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ellie, now that your staple diet's coffee with just a bit of solid Italian thrown in here and there, are you qualifying as a barista (baristess?) while you're there so that you can educate us plebs when you get back to Oz?

UB

Ellie said...

Well, if this is the UB that I think it is, you shouldn't have any need of educating, since Melbourne is Australia's centre of excellence for coffee. I will, however, stay in training so that I can bring back as much coffe-expertise as possible :) Ellie xox

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is the UB you think it is! I heard about your blog from YM and just couldn't resist saying something.
Have a great time! - Actually, by the sound of it, continue to have a great time!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your Italian Restaurant has stolen my patented recipe of using goat cheese, although mine is rolled in vine ash, I think you are in the wrong country, they make good coffee in Brazil.

Iron Chef Florey

Anonymous said...

ok it's been 4 or 5 days since your last update - we need a new one! It's raining here in Canberra and I have nothing to do but to live vicariously through you guys... bring on the blogs :) - Tanya

Anonymous said...

Re coffee... See www.espressotec.com/icrecipes.asp

UB

Ellie said...

Yay, the comments are rolling!

Awesome coffee recipes UB - I told you you don't need any caffeine education :)

And Pete, I think the only way we can work out whether Zizzi stole your goats cheese recipe is if you make it for us when we get home... :)