Saturday 5 May 2007

Ballet

We went to see the New Romantics ballet performance by the Australian Ballet at the opera house the other night, and I thought it was brilliant. I hadn't thought too much about it before, but I think that's the kind of dance that I like the most - contemporary, but beautiful and harmonious, rather than some of the "cutting-edge" harsh, ugly stuff that's out there.

The third ballet in particular of the three was stunning - After The Rain by Christopher Wheeldon, with Kirsty Martin. The second part of it was a pas de deux to this amazing violin and piano music called Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part, and it was so delicate and moving, it made me cry. I'll have to see if I can track down a recording of the music at some stage. There's a pic above from the AB site of a part of it.

The whole night was great, we had a fantastic night, despite being thwarted again in trying to get into the city via public transport. After the bus being late, we waited until it came and then tried to flag it down but the stupid bus driver went right past us, then we decided to get a cab and while we were walking up the street the next bus went past us!! So we just had some dinner and cabbed it in eventually - you've just gotta laugh at that stuff sometimes... Here's a couple of our pics from the night:

Here's me outside before the ballet started:

And Mark "enjoying" his coffee in the 1st interval...

And here's both of us mucking round in the 2nd interval:

No comments: