Thursday 19 July 2007

Stick a fork in me Jerry ...

... I'm done!

After claiming earlier in the trip that I was sick of museums etc. I've spent over 10 hours in the last two days in two museums. On Wednesday I went to the Imperial War Museum and today I spent six and a half hours at the British Museum.

I went to the Imperial War Museum to see a few movies I'd seen scheduled the last time we were there. Saw an old film (news reel) describing how airfields were built in the English country-side to launch bombing raids on German positions in Europe. Then a short film produced by the British School of Infantry in 1943 on camouflage and field craft (if any one knows, it's soldiers in the middle of a war!). The second film was great (really great!!!) with some awesome stuff on the use of camouflage and field craft, using shade and terrain, range cards and the selection of fire positions, movement across country and section formations. Really cool stuff! (To me anyway!)

Then I went upstairs and saw a 30 minute film titled Crimes Against Humanity. It was not a pleasant film, but I do feel that it is a very important one. The film is "A specially-commissioned 30-minute film is the central element of this exhibition which examines the theme of genocide and ethnic conflict". More people need to see this film, and more importantly understand what is going on in the world around them. Once you know what is really going on you can take action. So stop watching Today Tonight and switch on SBS World News. Then write to your local politicians and tell them to do something about it. Don't let fear and mass media rule your life.

Enough ranting. And I haven't even got to Collingwood yet.

After the Crimes Against Humanity film I went to the Holocaust exhibition. It was an incredible exhibition. Phenomenal. Like a normal museum exhibit it has lots of physical exhibits you can look at and read about, but in addition to this, complementing and enhancing these pieces are images, diorama's, audio and video from Nazi propaganda films and Jewish holocaust survivors. I spent over two and half hours going through the exhibition. At one point I was almost cried reading letters, watching videos and listening to the stories of the few survivors as they were shipped off to Auswitch like cattle as part of the Nazi's "Final Solution". I could not believe the horrors these people were forced to endure because of a belief system. And worse still is that it has been not only Nazi's but Christians and Muslims who have perpetrated and advanced anti-Semite beliefs for centuries.

But worse still, and worst of all, is that we have learnt nothing. The parallels between Nazi Germany and the conflicts of today, portrayed in the Crimes Against Humnaity films were the most disturbing thing of all.

Cambodia. Yugoslavia. Rwanda. Darfur.

I'm sorry for such a negative post. Well, negative or positive? It all depends on your point of view and what you choose to do with the knowledge you've obtained (or been reminded of) by reading this Blog today.

On to Thursday!! I have to make this part of the post upbeat; Ellie is insistent that the Mark and Ellie's Adventures Blog be entertaining so all our friends and family come back and read it and leave good comments! Ellie loves comments!! (If you can't read between the lines, leave some good comments, this means you! ;)(Hey Baby! xox)

So Thursday, Ellie and I did what is becoming a bit of a morning habit. Headed down to the Italian Coffee Company (which is actually an Italian pizza restaurant) for a coffee and a croissant. If you buy a large coffee there (and they make pretty good coffee) before 12pm you get a free croissant (pretty good croissant's too, baked on the premises!). So we had a coffee and a croissant, and then I walked Ellie to work, which takes a little under 30 minutes.

After dropping Ellie off, I wasn't sure what to do. I thought I might check out the British Museum which happens to be on the way, directly between our place and Ellie's work. I was keen to do an audio tour (self guided headphones type thing) of the Enlightenment Room. When I got there the exhibits were closed (they don't open before 10am, I've been to the museum a number of times after walking Ellie to work, so I knew this already) so I got a cappuccino and sat in the Great Court (see link for picture). The Great Court is amazing. The whole museum is worth looking at even if there was nothing in it. Amazing building. It's just awesome to sit in the Great Court and be in it. Sometimes I have a coffee there before everything opens to do just that.

(Going early, before the exhibits open is awesome because everything is just slowly building up to speed. Staff are cleaning and preparing. Early birds are planning their days and preparing. It's like getting up really early and watching a town wake up, and slowly come to life, except you don't have to be there till 9.30am. Perfect really! (All of you who know me well enough, I know you've been missing my stories so that was a little bit of MarkWorld for you. Otherwise known as a delightful detour through the mind of a genius.))

Onwards! So, the Enlightenment tour. I went to pick up the audio tour and decided to change my mind at the last moment and to the British Museum Self-Guided Highlights Audio Tour! This is a self guided audio tour of the highlights of the British Museum. Much like it sounds really.

So. Six-and-a-half-hours later!!! I finished the tour. I've come pretty darn close to seeing everything in the British Museum. Please note: Seeing. Not appreciating! I was traveling pretty fast through a lot of the museum, and about 3-4 rooms were closed for renovation. And keep in mind that I've been there a number of times previously so I've seen a lot of it before (I didn't even stop to breath at the huge Parthenon room).

At the end of it all: Wow! Amazing museum. Amazing!! I saw so much that I hadn't even contemplated before today. The four major cultures of Central America throughout the last three thousand years. The migration of Greeks to southern Italy and their influence on the Etruscans (early native Italians). The different forms and development of money throughout the centuries. The enormity and grandeur of Persepolis (capital of the ancient Persian empire). The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (a wonder of the ancient world). The native Americans of British Columbia. I can't even think of what else. African bronze working. Korean artworks and the influence of Confucius. Buddhist statues. Ancient palace gates. Winged bulls. Stuff I can't even remember the name of. I can't keep it all in my head.

I'm trying to think of more, but I just can't. So I'll name a tonne of other stuff that I saw that I did know about: The Rosetta Stone. Ramases II. Anglo-Saxon warriors. Greek mythology. Mummies. Swords. Scrolls. Pots. Pans. Spoons. Rocks. Ah, bugger I don't know. It's about 5 minutes to 1am. I can't think.

I hardly looked at the Asian and Eastern stuff. A quick run through, that was it. I'm keen to go back and look at it in more detail, and Ellie said she was too, so we'll probably go together. Should be good. The run free 30 minute short tours as well, so I plan to go back and join a few of those to see those things that I was interested in again. You'd think I was sick of the place, but it is really amazing. And free entry. Did I mention that?

(NB: You can do a virtual tour of the British Museum, just click here.)

So, when I left it was about time for Ellie to finish work. I was dead set exhausted. I walked to meet El at her work, and had a quick macchiato while I waited for her. After Ellie showed up, I suggested we go out for dinner. To Strada (see Ellie's post below).

Ellie and I went to Strada in Wimbledon Village last time we were here. It was awesome! This time, we had the exact same meal. The garlic bread was awesome, but I have to say the rest of the food was average. I'm writing it up as unimaginative and lacking soul.

Then we cruised on home and watched "Welcome to the Jungle" with The Rock (GO THE ROCK!!!). Heh heh. The British Museum followed by the Rock! What a combination.

NB I: This post is full of links to more information. Move your mouse over the text or click randomly for more information.

NB II: As we were cruising home (like most other times really) Ellie and I had so much fun, laughing and playing around. Ellie is so awesome, we have so much fun together.

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

PPS. If you didn't know about Wikipedia, you sure as hell do now.

PPPS. I really hope you enjoy this post. It's now 10 minutes to 2am. As I said, Stick A Fork In Me ...

5 comments:

Ellie said...

What a novel babe, well done! :)

And tks for loving me too :)

And bummer you didn't like Strada that much... :( We'll go back to Zizzi next time.

Anonymous said...

Mark, I have to laugh every time I think about you using wikipedia to research audit subject matter. Yes, it being at Willis' dismay was what made it even funnier.

Anonymous said...

Kevin Sheedy got the sack.

Love mum

Dont forget to get your measurements.

Also thanks for the post card Bergen looked great. You sound as though you might need to do alittle bit more walking - all you do is eat drink coffe and visit museums - what a life!

Anonymous said...

"All of you who know me well enough, I know you've been missing my stories so that was a little bit of MarkWorld for you. Otherwise known as a delightful detour through the mind of a genius."

Renae thinks I'm weird cause I'm laughing out loud reading your blog. The comment above made me laugh, and the Wikipedia comment! We miss you around work, and Willis!!

Glad to read that you guys are having fun! I've just fisnished reading an email from Tony in London and between the both of you I'm very jealous, but happy for all of you!!

Anonymous said...

whoops - if you haven't figured out the comment above is from me :)

~ Tanya