Friday 13 July 2007

Black google - Blackle!

Check this out, it's cool! Some dude had an idea recently that because it takes (relatively) heaps more energy to display a white screen than it does a black screen, if Google had a black background instead of a white one it would save a fair whack of energy worldwide just because so many people use Google. So someone created Blackle - a custom search powered by Google but with a black background. Check it out - click here. There's a little link at the bottom called 'About Blackle' that explains it all too. The funny thing is that evidently someone's started the verb 'blackling' in the same way that there's a verb 'googling' already - eg "I'll blackle it and find out". Love it!! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol "I'll Blackle it and find out". I'm waiting for some one in the US to come up with some way to make it sound more politically correct..... perhaps it will change to "I'll Africle American it out for you". (yes yes...it has nothing to do with a black screen google, but I had to have some random comment about this)

Georgina said...

Well I'm converted. Also I'm loving the energy that you guys are saving by having a black background on your blog.